SKINCARE | 8 ways to boost collagen
I have researched and researched this topic and here is what I have gathered!
"Collagen is the most common protein found in the body. It’s present in tendons, fat, and ligaments, among other places. It helps the pieces of our bodies to fit together, and is crucial to the strength of our bone structure. When collagen levels are healthy, cells that contain collagen take on a strong and youthful appearance.
Elastin is another kind of protein in the body. Elastin is found in places in the body that contract, such as arteries and lungs. This is because of elastin’s outstanding characteristic: the ability to snap back into place and maintain its original shape. Elastin and collagen are both proteins found in skin. They work together to give skin its texture and shape. Skin with healthy levels of both collagen and elastin isn’t just more youthful; it’s stronger.
The interesting thing about collagen is that stimulating its growth causes a domino effect. The more collagen you have, the more your body is able to produce and maintain." (Kathryn Watson, Healthline contributor)
Here are a few ways to boost collagen!
1. HYALURONIC ACID (HA). Our bodies naturally make hyaluronic acid and it is a humectant, meaning it pulls moisture out of the air and environment to absorb and plump up. HA speeds up recovery times and can also help with joint pain in the body. Hyaluronic acid is found in many foods and can also be found in supplement forms.
2. ALOE VERA. Studies have shown that applying aloe vera gel topically can aid in collagen production as well as taking it orally as a supplement. The reason aloe vera is applied to cuts or wounds is because it increases the collagen in that area, which in turn heals the wound.
3. DERMAL FILLERS. Fillers can cause a collagen-building reaction because most of them are hyaluronic acid based...meaning the hyaluronic acid stimulates collagen production by stretching the collagen-producing cells known as fibroblasts.
4. VITAMIN C. Your body can't store collagen without vitamin C. Vitamin C also fights free radicals and helps with brightening and pigmentation. Hyaluronic acid cannot synthesize without vitamin C, so using these two together is imperative for results. Foods such as oranges, red peppers, kale, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and strawberries are all rich in vitamin C. Our bodies cannot make vitamin C, so it is especially important to include it into our daily diet.
5. SUNSCREEN. Sunscreen is needed daily to help prevent premature aging as well as sun damage from UVA/UVB rays. UVA rays are the "aging" rays and UVB are the "burning" rays. Both will cause sun damage, wrinkles, age spots and can lead to melanoma later on. Sun damage also breaks down elastin in the skin. A tan just isn't worth it! Go get a spray tan!
6. RETINOL. Retinol speeds up cell turnover and increases cell functions. It is an antioxidant that also helps fight free radicals, while increasing collagen. It also fights off certain enzymes that can break down collagen.
7. NOT SMOKING. Smoking will age your skin prematurely. This will also break down collagen and elastin in the body, which is where you see wrinkles come into play.
8. AVOIDING POLLUTION. Pollution will also age your skin prematurely which pretty much will undo all of the hard work and money you're spending on anti-aging or antioxidant products. Pollution is full of oxidants that wreak havoc on your collagen and elastin.
I hope this has helped you in some way, if it has please share with your friends & fam!
#skincare #esthetics #esthetician #aesthetics #skin #collagen #howto